Reimagining Disney Classics Through Costume Design + Graduation


I've been desiring to see the Heroes and Villains Disney Costume exhibition since opening night back in February. Originally I started school in hopes of majoring in costume design so this art form is everything I need and more. The exhibit is located in my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama downtown at the Birmingham Museum of Art. It costs $30.00 for adults to see this exhibit and a discount for children and senior citizens. When I first entered the gallery I was blown away by the construction of the Cinderella gown. It resembles the Disney film a lot. The intricate details, the glass slipper, the tiara, everything was so beautifully done. There were a total of about five illustrations of Cinderella gowns all from different time periods and different films.

As I made my way upstairs to see the other costumes to my surprise I was greeted with the Disney villain Maleficent in all of her costume glory. The headpiece was even on point along with her wand. Then there was princess Belle, the evil queen from the tv series Once Upon A Time, and the white witch from the film The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Last but not least the fashion villain Cruella De'ville was one to watch. There were so many more Disney characters that are not pictured. The details of each costume blew me away from head to toe. This exhibit was well worth the wait. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and what a way to kick off summer break.

On May 3, 2024 I became a graduate of Jefferson State Community College earning my Associate's in Science degree with a concentration of Art Studio B.F.A. As a proud alumna of this college I would encourage you to follow your dreams no matter how long it takes to get to your destination. My journey was very unique and a difficult path. I loss my mom six months ago to cancer and I am navigating through my own illness. Through it all I have learned the importance of mental health awareness. To practice self-care and to see a therapist if needed. I am very proud of my achievements in life. In the fall I will be furthering my education by attending the University of Alabama at Birmingham. My major is Art. I am thrilled about this new venture and I am praying that this new chapter is beautiful.Cinderella from the most recent film

Comments

Popular Posts