Turning 30 wasn’t so bad after all

Turning 30 wasn't so bad after all.
I am less than one month away from my 31st birthday. In this post I want to take the time to write about what it felt like before turning thirty. The advice I received that totally changed my outlook on my life and career goals. The reason why everyone needs a little encouragement along the way. And why turning 30 wasn't so bad after all.

 I never really expressed the anxiety I felt right before turning the big 3 O. My nerves were moving a mile a minute. I was scared of the unknown. I was sad because I hadn't accomplished everything I thought I would before turning 30. I was anxious...I was just an emotional mess. I didn't feel any of these things until I hit the 6 months prior button. It wasn't looking good guys. I remember feeling all of these things. I remember getting advice from family members and most of them explaining that what I felt was totally normal.

I remember my original plans for my birthday falling through. What seemed like a total disaster turned into something very special. The day of: I felt beautiful in my red dress, I adored my 30th balloons, my makeup was more than I could have asked for, the intimate dinner at J. Alexanders was amazing, and dancing the night away with friends was the best fun I'd had all year.

Because my born day is in December a few weeks after officially turning thirty. The anxiety slowly but surely began to go away I remember having a conversation with an old friend about life goals right before entering 2017...




The night of my 30th birthday.

The advice I received before entering 2017.
This advice I will never forget. It was coming from someone I went to high school with and today I truly admire. This guy (who I choose not to mention his name) has reached goals that I only imagine in my dreams. He is a successful fashion stylist. His advice changed my mentality in both my personal life and my career. The takeaway that I would like to share is to 1. Start with the resources you have and build. 2. Self promote and work vigorously. After our chat I felt like I could accomplish anything. I realized that my self doubt of turning a year older was a 90% mentality thing. In reality I could most definitely accomplish my goals if I put forth the effort. Success isn't defined by how old you are. You CAN be successful at any age. I soon realized that...turning 30 wasn't so bad after all.

So what have I accomplished in 2017. 
Wow...with a new mentality I have accomplished so much this year. 
  • I blogged consistently all year and promoted my posts on social media
  • I went to countless in person networking events
  • I met a famous fashion blogger in person
  • Got a twitter shout out from Solange
  • Took several trips to the Birmingham Museum of Art for inspiration
  • Read new books and purchased several journals
  • Officially became a personal blogger on Instagram
  • Attended workshops and invested time into a lot of webinars
  • But my most recent success is gaining a new job at a clothing store.  
Here's to the roaring 30s I have a feeling this decade is going to be the best years of my life.** 

Comments

Popular Posts