Revisiting A Seat At The Table



(Set design and photograph by me)

In 2016 Solange released A Seat At The Table album. This album celebrated blackness through storytelling and song. One of my favorite songs from the debut album is Cranes in the sky the upbeat tempo and lyrics talks about battling depression all while trying to find solace in the things around her. The relatable track dives deep in testimonial pieces. 

I tried to drink it away
I tried to put one in the air
I tried to dance it away 
I tried to change it with my hair

I ran my credit card bill up
Thought a new dress would make it better
I tried to work it away 
But that just made me even sadder

Away away away away
Well it’s like cranes in the sky...

Shortly after the album release Solange curated an art book that detailed visuals from the album and also lyrics to all of the songs. Well I bought that art book. I will never forget the day Solange shouted me out via Twitter for buying her art book. Thrilled by this act of kindness, I gained some exposure in the brief time my tweet stayed on her page. So exciting...

I’ve admired her and her work a lot more ever since.**

The story behind the photograph above: I wanted to post something creative on my Instagram in celebratory of my recent act for applying to art school. An impromptu idea to create a set design came to me. I immediately acted on the idea and took a photo using my iPhone camera. I used faux floral decor, pillow case, art book, lighting, & a camera and wala. 

Comments

Popular Posts