20 Years of Beyonce



When I think of Beyoncé I think of the epitome of a Woman. She is everything! She has become the [Female] Michael Jackson of our time. And the amazing thing about all of this is... she is STILL at the top!
 
Beyoncé started her music career in the platinum award selling girl group Destiny's Child which eventually included Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. One of my all time favorite Destiny's Child songs is "Survivor" the lyrics: I'm a survivor I'm not gon give up I'm not gon stop I'm gon work harder I'm a survivor I'm gonna make it I will survive keep on surviving. Beyoncé lived by these words because in 2003 her solo journey began.
 
To be completely honest I knew that Beyoncé would have a good career as a solo artist because she was such a great lead vocal/ performer in the group. But, I had no idea that she would become the MEGA Star Mogul that she is today. In 2003 her first solo album Dangerously In Love was released. Her career as a solo artist was under a microscope she had pressure before the album even was released. Critics told her that she didn't have one hit on that record and I love when she says "They were right, I had five!" (GAG OMG! laughs out loud) And from then on we've witnessed greatness from this woman. Every album had its own era & told its on story through fashion, dance, song.
 
 I remember very vividly when her video to "Crazy in Love" came out. I was in Florida on vacation  my eyes were glued to the television anticipating on what she was about to do. It was summertime she had on denim shorts with a white tank swinging her hair and popping her bubble gum, then in walks Jay Z. From there they began to make magic together. OH, but it didn't stop there. On the BET Awards one of my favorite memories is when Monique paid homage to Beyoncé's song Crazy in Love by dancing with plus sized ladies to the song while Beyoncé was in the audience. Crazy fun entertainment!
 
Her second solo album was released in 2006  B Day followed by I AM Sasha Fierce, 4, Beyoncé and Lemonade. On the I AM Sasha Fierce album the song Single Ladies was an instant hit the video became a classic and according to Kanye West she deserved song of the year which I agree with but...Ye was being Ye when he interrupted Taylor Swifts acceptance speech smh. Fast Forward to 2013 when Beyoncé's self titled album was released over night with no promotion, no announcement, nothing just released. And the album still did well and as she says "Changed the game with that digital drop male or female don't make the difference I stopped the world." She did. This album had hits like Flawless and  Drunk in love feat her hubby Jay Z that landed her Grammy nominations and the first ever Michael Jackson Vanguard Award.
 
2016. LEMONADE THE VISUAL ALBUM
When Beyoncé reserved HBO for a day to premiere Lemonade for free, I KNEW this was going to be Amazing (laughs out loud). I knew. What I wasn't expecting was the poetry. To me the poetry, took this story to another level. Poetry always comes from a personal vulnerable place. And this was the most vulnerable we have ever seen Beyoncé as she told her story about infidelity in her marriage and her mother's marriage and forgiveness. She showed us the different emotions she felt during the healing process. The high fashion was amazing, the song placement spot on, the celebrity appearances were cool, the setting was beautiful. Everything meant something. It was heartfelt and relatable pure greatness. The song Formation which was about police brutality touched on sensitive topics about race that goes so far back in our history and sadly, we still deal with today. I thought Beyoncé was clever to use her platform as an ARTIST to address the issue in a way we never expected. That video is LIFE!
 
I definitely feel like Beyoncé was cheated out of album of the year at the Grammys. I am curious of what she will create next after the twins are born. **

Comments

Popular Posts