Art. Artist. Creativity---Culture.

I  missed the first art on the rocks to kick off summer'17 new art exhibits were open. I'm really loving this yellow piece because it represents the Sun. After the rain, tornados, that hit Birmingham, AL. To see the sun shinning is a blessing. It lifts my spirit. It is my sign of hope and faith. There will be two other aotr events this summer in ...July and August. If the weather permits I would like to attend both. Happy JULY 4TH weekend and I hope that you enjoy this read. Below I will discuss Solange's BET Award win and inside my personal sketches from college. ENJOY 🔻
On Sunday June 25th Solange won a BET Award (Black Entertainment Television)  for cranes in the sky which I explained in my previous post is my favorite song from the album A Seat At The Table. This album has earned her more recognition in this age than any other album that she has birthed. From magazine covers, to performing in festivals, her own tour, being interviewed by her Big sister, to night life performances and interviews,her very own limited edition art book--- you name it! This Grammy award winning album is filled with songs to uplift the BLACK culture. And in this day and age we need it more than ever! F.U.B.U. another song favorite explains how bomb things are created + originated/ sampled from the black culture in some form. So honor it. Respect it. Respect US. For Us By Us is an anthem. I love it! It is something that we should be proud of, no matter what. Keep creating, keep making these dreams reality Ladies and gentlemen keep embracing our natural curls etc. Whatever craft that you pursue KNOW that--- No true success is created overnight it takes process, effort, practice, education, skill, work and dedication and a ton of FAITH! Even when people don't believe in you or support in your brand you have to believe more than anything/anyone. If you can conquer this....in due time you will WIN!

🔻
Inside my sketchbook. While doing some Summer cleaning I stumbled across some old sketches from when I attended Auburn University circa 2009. To be honest I forgot that I sketched these couture pieces. It was during the time I was enrolled in taking particular intro fashion/merchandising courses. I was so inspired during this time and excited. I was focused and I felt like nothing could stop me from conquering my goals and completing my education. Little did I know that I would experience the HUGE obstacles that I have endured then and are still facing now! From changing locations several times, things being packed in storage for years, some things ruined and others simply given away. It was hard to depict and dissect the items that I had left. Well, on today I found some gems and I couldn't be happier.
I love to sketch and design dresses or couture gowns. Couture fashion is my favorite to study, so WHY not create a cohesive collection. I haven't sewed anything on my sewing machine in years due to it being in storage. So I want to brush off the dust and take some more classes to turn these creations into life!

The background that you are seeing is actual puzzle pieces of individual blocks that I created as a back ground. I used these colors not only because it was my only choices to choose from but it reminded me of Solange Knowles brand Saint Heron.

I like to take notes alongside each sketch describing which fabric I would like to use or what inspired the sketch.
This collection could be for on stage performance. Or the very last one at the bottom left could be wedding attire. Bridal shower maybe... Created By: Andrea Turner🔼

Comments

Popular Posts