May Is Mental Health Awareness Month

May is mental health awareness month. On yesterday May 1, I shared a little of my story concerning mental illness. 1 in 5 American adults will be diagnosed with a mental condition at any given year. In April 2010 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder following a traumatic experience I went through the year prior. When I was first diagnosed  I was confused, shocked, depressed and I felt alone. It took years for me to accept this new thing that was happening. I went through something called a 'manic episode' which causes days or weeks without sleep, constant talking and maybe envisioning things that are far fetched. Over these nine years I have had a total of three therapists and about four different psychiatrists. I've been on so many medications over the years I finally found something that works for me. I remember there were days when I didn't want to believe my diagnosis it was hard to take medicine on days when I felt balanced and good but my doctors told me that I needed to. What I learned about me is I am triggered by stress and revisiting traumatic memories. Stress can come from everyday life and the trauma can come from seeing or hearing stories similar to mine.

In the black community mental illness is frowned upon or considered weak. It is often swept under the rug and many people live without being properly diagnosed or medicated. A lot of people self medicate through drugs and/or alcohol. I want to change this narrative. It is okay to not be mentally well. Our mental health is just as important as our physical well being. Admitting that something is  wrong is the first step getting a therapist is the next. Therapy has been a great tool for me in my healing process. Talking to someone literally saved my life! There were days that were HARD and I needed someone who cared about me and what I was going through. Getting help can save your life. If you know anyone who maybe going through mental health issues know you are not alone and know that there is help out here.

With all my love,

xx Andrea








Comments

Popular Posts