The Process of Change

What is change?
Change-the act or instance of making or becoming different.  
Change can be scary. Change can feel uncomfortable. It can be exciting. Change is a process it takes time. Change has high and low points-there are some things you gain and sometimes lose. Change requires sacrifice. Change is stepping out of your comfort zone the places, things, and people that are familiar to you will sometimes shift when trying something new.
Today, I will share my fear of "change" by switching my hair color from dark to lighter this was something totally new and different to really solve a problem of eliminating premature grey hairs that is common in my family caused by stressors. The plan to get rid of the greys turned into getting a color I didn't necessarily want at first, but the original color I had in mind was no longer in stock. I will share with you how I went to bed with black hair and woke up a Red head.

In life we are often faced with changes at some point, but do we back up in a corner when faced with something new or do we face the challenges of change head on?

It was on a Monday, when I woke up feeling uneasy to take my sister to Cosmo Prof-a store where only licensed beauticians can shop and make purchases for exclusive products such as "color" that you wouldn't normally find in an ordinary Beauty supply store. On any other day this was a normal thing for me to do right before I take her to work but on this particular day things were slightly different.

She was not just shopping for any ole client for color, she was shopping for me and I was terrified. My original plan to slightly step out of my comfort zone was to pick a deep black purple color to cover my grey hairs, it would still appear to be black until the sunlight hits it but unfortunately, that color was all out of stock! I immediately suggested that I just get a black permanent color and call it a day! But my sister replied to me saying. "You suck! Why are you afraid to try something new? You are natural now meaning you have no other extra chemicals in your hair-with the proper processing of color your hair will turn out beautiful, but only if you try it." My heart sank and I went into deep thought, I responded "What color do you think would suit me?" She said, "try this violet-red its a few shades lighter than what you had in mind but it wont appear loudly unless you apply a high volume of bleach.

I gave in and I handed her the two tubes of violet-red color for her to make the purchase and I walked out the door. The Day of the Process: The process required she blow dry my hair straight, part in four sections, high light the front using bleach and foil, wet hair, then blow dry the bleach area, mix the color apply all over, let color sit for 30 minutes, wash & style.


This color change taught me a life lesson. Life is full of changes and sometimes it takes time to adjust just like the new hair color. It feels uncomfortable and you feel unsure of your decisions, but sometimes change is good and its up to you to take that leap!

Comments

Popular Posts